Pages

Saturday 28 February 2015

Swatches - Rimmel Lasting Finish and Rimmel Kate Lipsticks

Every now and then, on the very rare occasion where I'm not too phased by the lack of funds in my bank account and a little voice inside my head whispers the words 'treat yo'self' in a very Tom Haverford-like manner, I purchase a high end makeup product. Mostly foundation or concealer, or primer or brushes - items that are more 'essential' to me. I only own three expensive (well, to me) lipsticks and two were purchased when I was prowling through numerous Sephora stores in NYC, so the price was far more reasonable than it is in Australia. 

But for the most part, I stick to mainstream, 'drug-store' brands, easily available and more reasonably priced for my very stretched wallet. And none of these items have ever failed me. Sure, it's nice to own something a bit flashy, a bit more lush and luxe but I love the cheaper lipsticks I own. My lipstick collection isn't too extensive but the brand that is definitely the most prominent is Rimmel, because I find that the quality is so consistently great. So, on a rainy day (it's the last day of summer but #Melbz) I gathered them all up and did a little swatch-fest. For what purpose, who knows. But I hardly ever wear the lipsticks I own, which is tragic and so typical of me, so I thought maybe it was time to bust 'em out and reconnect a little.                    



From left to right, shades: Matte Finish 112, Lasting Finish 120 'Cutting Edge,' Kate Moss Lasting Finish 11, Kate Moss Lasting Finish 60,  Matte Finish 106 and Kate Moss Lasting Finish 04. 


These lipsticks all come in a compact plastic tube. The Matte Fnish shades are in red tubes, Kate Moss editions are in black and the regular Lasting Finish shades are in a deep eggplant coloured tube.



Top row: 112, 120 and 11
Bottom row: 60, 106 and 04


Overall, the formula on these lipsticks is great. They are moisturising (even the matte shades), don't tend to bleed out the edges, have a good colour pay-off. The swatches above were all done by applying the lipstick straight from the tube with a lip brush and concealer for minor cleanup. 

The matte shades are not entirely matte (the colour will still smudge or come off when you touch it) such as the liquid-to-matte formulas of the Lime Crime Velvetines or Australis Velour Lips but they are still a lovely, subtle alternative to more glossy shades. I will nearly always choose a matte lipstick over a glossy counterpart. Just personal preference. 

The photographs above are mostly accurate to real-life colour, with the except of '04' and '11.'  These shades were difficult to photograph in daylight, and are both significantly darker in person. '04' is a pretty deep, dark violet colour - very similar to M.A.C's 'Cyber' lipstick and '11' is a deeper burgundy colour. My pick of the lot is definitely 'Cutting Edge' - it's super pigmented and it's such a witchy kitschy shade without the grunge of '04.' 





No comments:

Post a Comment