Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Polyvore Outfit 002: Who The &*#$ Are The Arctic Monkeys? Dressing for festivals and concerts


   
Top: Arctic Monkeys Band Tee (here)
Shorts: Reiss Rosie Grey Geo Print Silk Shorts (here)
Shoes: Windsor Smith Lily Sandals (here)
Bag: Old Navy Cross Body Tassel Bag (here)
Top: Mlle Mademoiselle 'Yaman Boyfriend Tee (here)
Cardigan: Vera Moda 'Essie Lace Cardigan' (here)
 Leggings: Black Milk Clothing 'Union Jack' Leggings (here)
Shoes: VANS Canvas Trainers (here)
Bag: Wallis Black Lock Cross Body Bag (here)

In January last year, I went to see the Arctic Monkeys on their 'Suck It And See' tour (and wore the outfit in the second photo above but not all the exact same items because I'm a poor student). It was downright amazing, especially being in the standing area right near the stage. Ah, Alex Turner. You make a girl's heart swoon. There were definite lulls in the crowd's enthusiasm when the band played songs from 'Humbug' and 'Suck It And See,' and insane amounts of jumping around and singing along when songs from 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' and 'Favourite Worst Nightmare.' Totally understandable. I started liking AM because of their loud raucous sound, thrashing guitars and frenzied drums and, like many, was disappointed by their new laid back drawling style (think psychedelic acid trip).

HOWEVER. I am loving their new album. While lyrically, all their albums are strong, this one is particularly good. As soon as I heard the first 10 seconds of 'Do I Wanna Know,' the leading single from their fifth album 'AM,' I fell in love. Seriously, just take a listen. It's so sultry and smooth, but unmistakably Arctic Monkeys.

Why the whole Arctic Monkeys spiel? Tickets just got released for their May 2014 tour and I am desperate to go again! Concert tickets are super expensive though, and Christmas is coming up.. I'm hoping there are still some available when I possess a little more moolah.

Some ideas when dressing for concerts/festivals:
1. Comfortable and closed shoes. To avoid your toes being stomped on, rendering you unable to stand (I speak from experience). A little heel is good (especially for short people like myself) to gain a bit of height. You need to be able to dance around! Nobody likes that concert-goer who stands immobile.
2. A cross-body bag. To be able to have both hands free, and also have cash/phone close by. You really don't want to have to worry about holding onto your bag.
3. A light cardigan. I always take something pretty thin that's able to be folded up and put into my bag, just in case it gets chilly (unlikely if the venue is packed) or it rains (highly likely because.. Melbourne).
4. Bag essentials: Lip balm, band-aids, tissues, eyeliner/mascara for touch-ups, coin purse or wallet, phone, camera (hidden in a zip if necessary), sharpie pens, ponchos. It's really a bummer that you're usually not allowed to take in water bottles, but buy one as soon as you get into the venue!
5. Avoid wearing anything that is: too valuable or holds sentimental value and anything too tight or restrictive (personally, I would avoid strapless tops too..)

Happy concert or festival going! It's summer in Australia, though you wouldn't tell it from all the rain, and festival season is starting up again soon so I'm preparing for all the side-shows that will hopefully be announced! 


No comments:

Post a Comment